Wednesday, 20 July 2016

South Africa to return seized $15m to Nigeria soon – Defence Secretary #CAPNews

South Africa has disclosed that the $15m meant for arms purchase seized from Nigeria will soon be returned.
South African Secretary for Defence and Military Veterans, Dr. Sam Gulube, made the confirmation to newsmen after the opening ceremony of the Nigeria-South Africa Defence Industry inaugural seminar on Monday in Abuja.
President Jacob Zuma of South Africa had, while on a three-day state visit to Nigeria in March, promised that the money would be released after all the investigations were concluded.
In his words Gulube also assured that the “issue had been settled”.
“But to avoid a future recurrence, I would hold a discussion with my counterparts and look into the legal framework to ensure that seizure of funds doesn’t recur,” he said.
He lauded the nation’s leading roles during South Africa’s struggle with apartheid, adding that all the people that fought for his country’s liberation received military and academic trainings in Nigeria.
On the seminar, Gulube, an apartheid era combatant, said it “would play critical roles to ensure the two countries have peace and security so they can have prosperity.
“The defence industry have great roles to play in development and economic security and it is only through advancement of defence technology that the two economies can grow and reduce dependence on oil and other mineral resources.”
#CityAlertPlus #CAP 
Follow us on social media

Post a Comment